Friday, May 23, 2008

Driving a Standard

It had been oh...7 years since I had last driven a standard car.

The last time I was driving a standard was in Michigan going on a lengthy roadtrip. I was coming off a interstate ramp and shifted into 2nd gear from 4th....and that is when the check engine light came on...it was my roommate's car...and Chris drove his car for the rest of the trip...yeah we were going to visit my family in New England.

So, here I am engaged now and my finance owns a standard car...(which I might add gets great gas milage since it is a tiny Geo Metro).

Well we went out to learn how to drive a standard this would be about my oh 4th learning experience? (I learned twice before at Camp and once with Chris).


My greatest challenge was getting the car from a stopped position into a moving one without stalling or making the Geo shake violently. While our practice for the most part went well, I have more to learn. There were a few "peal outs" in the Wycliffe parking lot.

The real question is my old friend Chris glad I'm out on the road practicing?

Nate-

2 comments:

Chris Winkler said...

Look out on the roads! I'm glad I left the office when I did. :-)

Clyde and Johanna said...

I passed my drivers' test with an automatic. Then a college friend taught me how to drive a three-gear WW2-era truck/jeep thing (which we drove mostly offroad), and I've never looked back! You'll get the hang of it too, though I'm not sure I would recommend learning it from your wife :-)