Monday, March 8, 2021

Street Venders

I fail to capture most of the interesting sights that pass my kitchen window--like the motorcyclist I observed transporting, not one, but THREE, car tires around his torso. I never know what I’ll see as I’m washing dishes, but I can definitely count on a parade of venders throughout the day. Each has his or her own honk, bell, or loudspeaker system announcing their arrival. A few that I’ve documented include:

Ice Cream Carts

At least three ice cream carts zoom by our gate ringing their bell each day. This one sells coconut milk ice cream with a choice of sticky rice, durian, or taro flavoring. All for 16 cents a stick.  

 

Fruit Venders

A variety of fruit trucks pass our home. With time, I’ve learned which vendors sell quality fruit and which ones sneak rotting mangoes in my bag when I’m not looking. To be honest, even on the worst of days, it’s hard to get mad at a jovial 80-year-old man who’s just trying to make a buck. (Also randomly captured in this picture is a troop of elementary students on a morning pilgrimage.)

 

The Egg Truck

A kind-hearted woman named “Rabbit” delivers eggs to the neighborhood four days a week. After Nate chased her truck down by foot (requiring a full-fledged sprint in his office attire), Rabbit has willingly included our house on her list of stops. 

 

The Broom Guy

 These stalky bamboo brooms are surprisingly effective. The owner of the pushcart is also surprisingly speedy, requiring a few more chase-downs in our neighborhood.

 

The Gas Man 


Gas is delivered by request. Since my road doesn't seem to have a uniformly agreed upon name, I have a horrible time explaining where I live. The first time I called to request a tank, my long-winded efforts were in vain. In a last-ditch attempt I flatly stated, “I’m the foreigner with kids.” (As if the “foreign” part wasn’t obvious from my bad grammar and accent.) The man promptly hung up and arrived at our house 5 minutes later with a full tank of gas. So much for trying to blend in with the locals.

 

The Toy Truck

A loudspeaker attached to this truck proclaims its arrival long before the vehicle comes into view. Last Sunday this happened three times before 7:30 am. I haven’t actually patronized their business yet, but if I’m ever in need of a giant bouncy ball at 7:00 on a Sunday morning, I know where to look.

 

Many Others

The list could go on and on of hard-working men and women selling food, window shades, giant piggy banks, and cartloads of other items that I have yet to explore. This biggest hindrance is distinguishing the different beeps and getting out of door in time to catch the cart!

Despite the chaos and noise, I'm grateful for these men and women that strengthen community and serve with a smile week after week. They provide one more unique piece of Thai culture that I have come to respect.


2 comments:

Susan W said...

Oh my goodness! Your gas delivery story is hilarious!! ��❤️

Unknown said...

So glad I clicked through to this page! What a great window to your life!